Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Critiques for Log Lines

(Or, Let the Log Lines Roll)

If you haven't already heard, Authoress is putting a whole bunch of log lines up today for critique on her blog, Miss Snark's First Victim. Authoress recently talked about crit styles in her very own critiquerly interview.



What's a log line? It's a brief description of your WiP. An elevator pitch version. Authoress is hosting this log line critique session in preparation for her Baker's Dozen Agent Auction.

What's the Bakers Dozen? It's where some lucky blog readers get their log line plus the first page of their WiP read by agents. Not just one or two agents. A dozen or so participate. And then they bid for the entries that they want. For example, an agent might bid to see the first three chapters, or even the entire WiP. *cue rays of sun and cherubic music*

Why is this good from a Not an Editor standpoint? Because you can see how people critique. It's always good to take note of different critiquing styles. There's a whole lotta them. And you can also practice some critiquing skills.

And? It's just a bakery full of excitement and chocolaty awesome sauce. With sprinkles on top.

5 comments:

Bethany Crandell said...

This is cool! Any opportunity to get someone "important" reading your work is a big deal!

Jessica Silva said...

Urrrgh, if only my WIP was complete.

Mary Frame said...

Jessica - I'm thinking the same thing. But there's always next year :)

Here's to hoping that the bakers dozen continues to get bigger and better!

Anita Grace Howard said...

COOL. I love me some sprinkles with chocolaty awesomesauce. Hee. Really, log lines come in handy even after snagging an author and pub. I had to write up my own one sentence premise for my PublishersMarketplace announcement, so it really helped already having that written up. :) Great post! I'll have to go check out those log lines.

Jacquelin Cangro said...

I had one of my loglines critiqued and it was so helpful. I went through all of my comments one by one and really considered what each person was trying to say. Sometimes you have to read between the lines to get at the core of the suggestion.
I did a quick post about some of the tips I learned that enabled me to write a much better logline. (I hope!)
http://www.thewriterssalon.com/

Post a Comment